CELEBRATING OUR SUCCESS
As affirmation to its aphorism of being the University of First Choice, Great Zimbabwe University has, between March and August 2017, been honoured with awards in recognition of the University’s innovative and trendsetting efforts to provide modern teaching and learning facilities as well as quality tuition to its students.
During the last five years, using very little resources at its disposal, mostly locally generated resources, the University has managed to provide state-of-the-art teaching and learning facilities, staff offices, accommodation for students, student and staff transportation services, and water and sewer reticulation. These projects include the renovations and construction of teaching, learning and residential facilities at the Mashava Campus, Mucheke Campus, Herbert Chitepo Law School, Julius Nyerere School of Social Sciences, Robert Mugabe School of Education and Culture, Gary Magadzire School of Agriculture and Natural Sciences, and Nehanda Centre for Gender and Cultural Studies.
The rapid establishment and expansion of the University’s campuses, has kept pace with the quality needs of a 21st century University. These include; the sustained growth of criticalcutting-edge Information and Communication Technology systems complemented by upmarket digital library resources inline with students and faculty expectations.
As a result of its startlingly rapid transformation from a single campus to its current multi-campus status, the energetic and pacesetting manner in which it has been able to lead new thinking in improving and providing quality higher education in a difficult economic environment, Great Zimbabwe University has been recognised for excellent service to its students, staff and community by several national and international organisations.
In addition to the achievements already noted, the University has continued to make more innovations aimed at both satisfying its current and future students as well as meeting the demands of the new paradigm in higher and tertiary education in the country where engineering, technology, culture and heritage are now an integral part of higher education.The hard work by the University has not gone unnoticed by its stakeholders who have endorsed it through following awards and recognition as follows:
1. AWARDS TO THE VICE CHANCELLOR, PROFESSOR RUNGANO JONAS ZVOBGO FOR DEMONSTRATING AN ABILITY TO THINK BEYOND THE SKY
· Vice Chancellor of the Year 2016 (Public Universities) Award at the Megafest National Business Awards, Harare, 16 March 2017,
· Zimbabwe Institute of Management Northern Region Award for Leadership Excellence (Public Sector) for 2016, Harare, 30 June 2017,
· Zimbabwe Lifetime Achievement in Leadership Excellence, Special Recognition in Leadership Excellence, Zimbabwe Leadership Awards (ZILA 2017) National Awards, Harare, 07 August 2017,
· Vice Chancellor of the Year, Zimbabwe Leadership Awards (ZILA 2017) National Awards, Harare, 07 August 2017.
2. AWARDS TO THE UNIVERSITY
· University of the Year 2016, Zimbabwe Leadership Awards (ZILA 2017) National Awards, Harare, 07 August 2017.
The University Bursar also received on behalf of the University the following awards in recognition of excellent financial management:
· Winner, 2017 Finance Management Award of Excellence in Financial Turn Around by the Public Sector Management Upon the recommendation of the Ministry of Higher and Tertiary Education, Science and Technology Development, Harare, 03 August 2017,
· 2nd Runner Up2017 Finance Management Award of Excellence in Accounting, Auditing and Financial Management by the Public Sector Management Upon the recommendation of the Ministry of Higher and Tertiary Education, Science and Technology Development, Harare, 03 August 2017,
· 2nd Runner-Up 2017 Finance Management Award of Excellence in Revenue Collection, Credit Control and Risk Management by the Public Sector Management Upon the recommendation of the Ministry of Higher and Tertiary Education, Science and Technology Development, Harare, 03 August 2017
3. AWARDS TO THE VICE CHANCELLOR’S PERSONAL ASSISTANT, MRS GRACE TAMWA
Mrs Grace Tamwa
· Personal Assistant of the Year, Institute of Administration and Commerce (IAC), Kariba, 04 August 2017
· 2nd runner up Outstanding Personal Assistant of the Year Category, Megafest Women’s Awards, Harare 20 July 2017
CONGRATULATIONS, MAKOROKOTO, AMHLOPE