Universities Attended and Qualifications obtained
Doctor of Philosophy Degree in Education – University of Edinburgh (UK) (1977 – 1980)
Phil in Education – Jawaharlal Nehru University (India) (1976 – 1977)
M.A. in English – University of Delhi (India) (1994 – 1995)
B.A. (Hons) Degree in English – University of Delhi (1971 – 1974)
C.E. University of Zimbabwe.
Certificate in Educational Administration and Management – George Brown College’Toronto (1990)
EMPLOYMENT AND EXPERIENCE
Currently Vice Chancellor of Great Zimbabwe University (2012-date)
Thirteen years as Pro Vice Chancellor of the Midlands State University (1999 -2012)
Four years as Principal of Gweru Teachers Training College (1996 – 1999)
Seven years as Principal of Mutare Teachers Training College.(1989 – 1995)
One year six months as Vice Principal of Masvingo Teachers Training College (1987 – December 1988)
Five years as Vice Principal of Mkoba Teachers Training College (1982 to 1987)
One year six months as Principal Lecturer in Charge of Zintec Programme in the Midlands Province (1981 to December 1982)
- SECOND VICE CHANCELLOR of Great Zimbabwe University (2012- date) reporting to the Chairman of Council and Chancellor. I am responsible for the efficient administration of the University and provision of essential services in the areas of academic service, administrative service and discipline.
- FOUNDING PRO- VICE CHANCELLOR – Midlands State University (December 1999 to 2012) Reporting to the Vice Chancellor and the University Council.
- FOUNDING PRINCIPAL of the Degree Programme at Gweru Teachers College in association with the University of Zimbabwe (January 1997 to December 1999).
- PRINCIPAL : Diploma Programme, Gweru Teachers College. (January 1996 to December 1998)
- PRINCIPAL: Mutare Secondary Teachers College. (October 1988 to December 1995).
- ACTING PRINCIPAL: Masvingo Primary Teachers College. (September 1987 to October 1988).
- VICE PRINCIPAL: Masvingo Primary Teachers College. (April 1987 to September 1987).
- VICE PRINCIPAL: Mkoba Teachers’ College. (September 1982 to April 1987).
- PRINCIPAL LECTURER AND REGIONAL CO-ORDINATOR OF THE ZIMBABWE INTEGRATED NATIONAL TEACHER EDUCATION COURSE (ZINTEC) IN THE MIDLANDS PROVINCE. (April 1981 to August 1982).
- LECTURER: Gweru Teachers College. (January to April 1981)
- Transforming Education – The Zimbabwean Experience 1986 College Press, Harare.
- Colonialism and Education in Zimbabwe 1994, Sapes Trust Harare.
- Fundamental Principles of Management 1995 UNICEF, Harare
- State Ideology and Education 1997 Mambo. Press Gweru
- The Post Colonial State and Educational Reform – Zimbabwe, Zambia and Botswana 2000 Zimbabwe Publishing House Harare.
- The Organization and Administration of Primary and Secondary Education in Zimbabwe 2004 Zimbabwe Open University Harare
- Contextualizing the curriculum – The Zimbabwean Experience 2007 College Press Harare
- Contemporary Issues in Education– 2014 College Press Harare
PAPERS PUBLISHED IN ACCREDITED JOURNALS
- “The Impact of ESAP on Education in Zimbabwe” The Zimbabwe Bulletin of Teacher Education Journal Volume 12 Issue No. 2. 2003.
- “Reflections on Zimbabwe’s search for a relevant Education Curriculum” The Dyke Journal of the Midlands State University Vol.1 No. 1. 2004
- “After School then what?. Government and Private Sector Intervention in Youth Job Training in Zimbabwe” The Dyke Journal of the midlands State University 2008.
- “Education and the challenge of Independence” Ibbo Mandaza (ed) Zimbabwe – The Political Economy of Transition 1980 – 1986 Dakar Codesria 1986.
- “Education and social-Economic Development” Education in Zimbabwe Past, Present and Future. ZIMFEP. 1983 The Dag Hammerskjold foundation Harare
- “Post Independence Reform Initiatives in Zimbabwe: Reform of the Education Sector” Mike Beveridge, Kenneth King, Rob Palmer and Ruth Wedgwood Reintegrating Education Skills and work in Africa Towards Informal or knowledge economies? Towards Autonomy or Dependency in Development? Centre of African Studies University of Edinburgh 2005.
- “Zimbabwe – The Education Dilemma” Paper presented at the SIDA Conference on Education and Development held at Sheraton International Conference Centre, Harare 19 October, 1995
- Educating for Peace – Curriculum Development Workshop for peace and leadership Education in Universities in Zimbabwe Montclaire Hotel Zvobgo, R.J. and Ndawi, O.P. 14 – 17 February, 2006
- The Management of Higher Education in Development : Paper read at the Conference of Vice Chancellors of Universities held at the River Nile Resort hotel, Jinya, Uganda June 24, 2003
- “The nexus between Africa’s natural resources, development and security” paper presented at 10th Conference of the Committee of Intelligence and Security Services of Africa, Harare, Zimbabwe, 2013
Zimbabwe Education situation Analysis – UNICEF 1992.
External Consultant to the Ministry of Education, Sport and Culture Project on Early Childhood Education and Care, 1994
- Factors influencing scholastic achievement by grades 1 to 3 pupils in schools in Honde Mutasa and Mutare districts
- Youth skills training and employment creation in Honde/Mutasa and Mutasa Districts – New Initiatives for resolving the unemployment crisis amongst Manicaland Youths 1994.
- The Impact of Plan International Assistance to Schools on Quality of Education in Mutare/Mutasa Districts 1995.
- Participant in the Project on Family Planning on the Ability of Girls and Young women to pursue their academic and vocational goals 1996. Funded by Family Health International (North Carolina, USA)
- 2nd Prize winner of the Zimbabwe Book Publishing Association Award for Non Fiction – Academic writing for the year 2000
- Winner of the Zimbabwe Book Publishers Association Literary Awards: Best Academic, Humanities and Social Science for the year 2007
SELECTED PROFESSIONAL AWARDS
- First Runner Up, Zimbabwe Institute of Management (ZIM) Manager of the year 2012- Bulawayo Region.
- Zimbabwe National Chamber of Commerce (ZNCC) Transformational Leader of the year 2012- Midlands Region.
- The LASOF Career and Leadership Legacy Builder Award , Harare, 2013
- Megafest Harare Region Top 20 Influential men in Business, 2013.
- The Manager of the year Award, European Association of Rectors, Oxford, United Kingdom, 2013.
- Best Quality Leadership Award 2014, Las Vegas USA
- The Global Award for Perfection Quality and Ideal Performance, 2014, Berlin, Germany.
- Masvingo City Council Quasqicentennial Awards- Outstanding Contribution to Masvingo.
- African Leadership Magazine, African Leadership Medal of Honour, United States of America, 2016.
- African Leadership Magazine, Induction into Hall of Fame for Pioneering Excellence and Innovation in Tertiary Education in Africa, Atlanta-Georgia, USA, 2016.
- Megafest Vice Chancellor of the Year 2016.
SELECTED INSTITUTIONAL AWARDS
- The Majestic Five Continents Award for Quality and Excellence and The Total Quality Management (TQM) Aptitude Seal for Quality Performance and Best Customer Satisfaction, Geneva, Switzerland, 2013.
- The Best Regional University Award, Oxford, United Kingdom, 2013
- The Greatest Contribution to Education, World Congress of Chancellors and Vice Chancellors, Mumbai, India, 2014
- The Certificate of Membership to the Thames Valley Chamber of Commerce Group, Oxford, United Kingdom, 2014-2015.
- Megafest Award for The Best Training and Development Institution, Bulawayo, 2014
- Zimbabwe Business Council Awards- Best University 2014.
- Africa Education Leadership Awards, Education Leadership Award, Mauritius, December 2015.
- Masvingo City Council Quasqicentennial Awards- Outstanding Contribution to Masvingo.
- Otherways Management and Consulting, Diamond Eye Award for Quality and Excellence, Rome, Italy, 2016
MEMBERSHIP OF BOARDS
- Ex-Officio Member of the Council of the Midlands State University
- Member of the Professor Heneri Dzinotyiweyi Committee on the Devolution of Gweru Teachers College into a University. The committee was set up by government to investigate the feasibility of transforming Gweru Teachers College into a national university.
- Chairperson of the Steering Committee set up by the Minister of Higher Education and Technology to formulate strategies for implementing and monitoring the devolution of the College into a University under the supervision of the University of Zimbabwe.
- Former Member of the Council of the Bindura University of Science Education
- Chairman of Zvobgo Holding Group of Companies
- Board Member of the Environment Youth 2k (EY2K) Organisation
- Member of the Board of Governors – Mutare General Hospital (1989 – 1995)
- Member of the Board of Directors – Zimbabwe War Collaborators Association
- Member of the Board of Directors – Zimbabwe Academic Publishing Association.
- Chairman – Zimbabwe National Aiders
- Board Member University of Botho
- Vice Chairman – Zimbabwe School Examinations Council (ZIMSEC) Board
- Member of the European Club of Rectors and attainment of lifetime membership of the Oxford Academic Society, 2014
- Membership of the World Congress of Chancellors and Vice Chancellors 2014-2018.